Thursday, October 22, 2009


FRENCH ESSENCE: Ambience, Beauty and Style in Provence
Author: Vicki Archer
Photographer: Carla Coulson
Publisher: Lantern
NZ RRP: $65


In 2006 Vivki Archer burst on to the publishing scene with the utterly enchanting and beautiful book, MY FRENCH LIFE, which unsurprisinglywent on to enjoy significant sales around the world.
Now she is here again this time with FRENCH ESSENCE , a celebration of life in Provence in which she reveals the underpinnings of that famous French ambience and sense of style, and offers inspiration to all of us who want to understand the beauty, experience the lifestyle and emulate the interiors of this exquisite part of the world.

Ten years ago, Vicki Archer bought and restored a seventeenth-century property in Saint-Remy-de-Provence, and it is that story that she told in My French Life. Now, in collaboration again with celebrated photographer Carla Coulson, she shares with us her love for Provence. And I can assure you that on reading this gorgeous book one you will want to jump on the first plane and head over there.
Here is the author’s introduction to the book which the publishers have kindly allowed me to reproduce:

The two words that would best describe my last ten years are chance and change. Chance led me to Saint Rémy de Provence and with that has come change. Looking back I cannot believe that a chance encounter in a foreign country could change a life in so many different
ways. The publication of My French Life in 2006 made me aware that I am not alone in my deep love for France and that there are so many like-minded souls and kindred spirits who share my enthusiasm for all things French.
French Essence continues my love affair with France and in particular Provence, where I live.
Beautiful surroundings have always fuelled my creative soul and to live life here with such an abundance of nature and loveliness is a gift. I questioned what it was that makes my life in Provence unique and what is so great the attraction – the answer was simple: ambience. Ambience is the single ingredient that distinguishes and infuses life here; French Essence is a written and photographic celebration of this.


To explore Avignon, the City of Popes, to follow the footsteps of Cézanne in Aix-en-Provence, to watch an exquisite sunset over the Valley of Les Baux de Provence or to relax in a favourite room that flickers with candlelight is to feel a part of this ambience.
I have been a lover of architecture, art, furniture and decor forever, and French interiors –
whether public or private – are full of imagination and flair. The French have opened my eyes to colour and taught me to applaud originality and be free of the traditional restraints when it comes to decorating.
I am no longer afraid to mix the old with the new or the formal with the informal. I have learnt that the best interiors come from the heart and from a passion for collecting. French Essence is about the relationship between ambience and our surroundings; it is about finding the inspiration and the guidance outside to enhance our lives on the inside.


As a believer in fate I like to think that the path I follow is the right one for me. I never
doubt its direction and I happily embrace all the left and rights along the way. The beauty of fate and accepting change is that it is impossible to predict an outcome. I never imagined I would lead a French life and nor would I have imagined a life as olive farmer, writer and blogger, but as a result of my chance encounter in Provence my life has been enriched immeasurably. I am inspired on a daily basis and I work with talented and innovative people from all over the world doing what I love most. What could be better?
Vicki Archer

The above pic shows the library at Mas de Berard taken from the book.

If you have a Francophile in your life then this superb book will make the absolutely perfect Christmas gift.
French Essence and My French Life, two absolute stunners are now sitting together in pride of place on my coffee table. My thanks and congratulations to Vicki Archer and Carla Coulson for another inspiring collaboration. And one must not forget Lantern, Australia's leading publisher of very special books.

No comments: