Sunday, August 14, 2011

Review: Kobo eReader Touch may best the Nook as the top ebook reader

By Matthew Miller | July 19, 2011, The Mobile Gadgeteer

Summary: Kobo’s new touchscreen-enabled ebook reader may actually beat the new Nook as the best dedicated ebook reader.

Three weeks ago I posted my review of the new Barnes & Noble Nook and explained why I thought it was the best dedicated ebook reader. A few readers asked if I had checked out the new Kobo eReader Touch Edition and at the time it was not available in the stores, but the folks at Kobo sent one along for me to check out and after several days with the black model I have to say I think you can choose either the Nook Second Edition or the new Kobo eReader Touch Edition and experience the best in dedicated ebook reading. I will explain what differences I found below and why you might choose one over the other. Make sure to check out my image gallery showing both ebook readers and my video walkthrough below.
The Amazon Kindle still has a large majority of the ebook market and I do think they are fine devices. However, I personally find little need for space wasted on a dedicated QWERTY keyboard and am not a huge fan of buying books just from the Amazon marketplace. Both the Nook and Kobo devices let you read EPUB books purchased from various online stores and those checked out from your local public library through Adobe Digital Editions DRM management software. The new zForce touch technology also gives you an ebook reading experience similar to a paper book without compromising the clarity of the display.
Full detailed review here.

No comments: