Friday, June 08, 2012

Sir Terry Pratchett meets his prize pig


Terry Pratchett was presented with a pig yesterday afternoon at the Hay Festival, to celebrate him winning the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Comic Fiction. 
Pratchett commented on his win:

“I feel flabbergasted, absolutely tickety-boo and ready to go down to the Drones Club for a drink, obviously.  I found PG Wodehouse when I was thirteen.  I read everything of his that I could get my hands on and because of him actually considered one day taking up golf.  It was a close run thing.  Very many thanks to those who inexplicably decided on giving me this award.”

In the tradition of the prize, the pig will henceforth be named Snuff, after Pratchett’s winning novel. He has also received a jeroboam of Bollinger Special Cuvée, a case of Bollinger La Grande Année and a set of the Everyman Wodehouse collection.


 Terry Pratchett and a Gloucestershire Old Spot. Picture - Jay Williams - The Telegraph

For a full report on the day's events, with photos, link to The Telegraph here.


1 comment:

Mark Hubbard said...

Loved this story when it first came out. Though, despite the acclaim the Discworld series has - no doubt deservedly - had, I just can't quite latch onto it.

Mind you, I've found I can't really read fantasy for a the last twenty years or so now. Pity, I used to enjoy it.

Seems to be all literary fiction and cook books (consumed with wine). Part of aging I guess.