Sunday, August 17, 2014

Shifting Colours - a deeply affecting novel


On Friday last I had the great pleasure of spending "An Hour in Conversation with Fiona Sussman, author of Shifting Colours".
The event was held at MMK in Matakana before an audience of some 70 with The Animal Sanctuary benefitting by over $800 from the occasion.

These were my opening comments:

This is the most affecting and powerful novel I have read in a long while - it made me laugh, it made me cry,,,,,,,,,,,,, it made me angry, it made me happy and I have to confess I fell in love with the two main characters, Miriam and her mother Celia, a black servant in South Africa back in  the brutal apartheid years.
I read the book in two long intense sessions. 
It is both compelling  and haunting and even now, 10 days and three novels later, I can't get the characters and their story out of my mind.

Shifting Colours
Fiona Sussman
Alison & Busby - NZ$28.00




1 comment:

Liz Hermse said...

I did much the same - finished the book in two evenings. Brought back so many memories. Its a brilliant, thought provoking read and took me back to years of fear and uncertainty in SA. English people also suffered under the Afrikaans regime, but nowhere near as much as the black people did. Thanks Fiona!!!